Simplifying wayfinding and creating a consistent brand with a wide-ranging project
A wide-ranging redevelopment of Cambridge University’s social centre provided easier wayfinding and created brand identity and consistency.
Redefining communication for Cambridge University’s social hub
We were appointed by the Facilities Manager at the University of Cambridge to devise a way to redefine how the Centre communicated to, and was used by, University members and visitors.
A multi-faceted project
Following discussions and research into staff and user interpretations of the buildings, we undertook the following projects:
- Room naming scheme development, with rooms named after Cambridge University Nobel Prize winners, and names chosen to be easy to differentiate.
- Creation of a new identity for the building, stationery, leaflets, menus and promotions.
- Design of a digital and printed brochure presenting ‘rooms for hire’ at the University and University Centre.
- Development of a brand identity and literature for the University’s new cutting edge fitness suite.
- Logos and design styles for the University Centre’s bars and restaurants.
- Complete external and internal wayfinding and sign strategy, helping visitors navigate and understand services on offer.
- Design and development of the University Centre and University Catering web site.
- Sign design concepts for the Hauser Forum and West Café.
A confusing building
The building is amazing to look at, but proved to be confusing to use. For example, existing room names were abstract and hard to remember, having 1R1, 1R2 and 1R3 on the first floor, and 2R1, 2R2, 2R3 on the second floor and so-on. The building also had layers of outdated designs, signs and information which was to be stripped back.
A consistent, cross platform theme aids and enhances understanding
These projects were guided by the Universities FM team and Centre staff to great success, and have provided the University Centre with a consistent, cross platform theme which aids and enhances the understanding of the University Centre, and its offers. Work continues to date, with provision of a wayfinding scheme for the Senate House, the heart of academia at the University of Cambridge.
Want to talk?
If you have a project you’d like to discuss, or would like to find out more about our services — get in touch with us below.
email@example.com | 01223 693 082